Southwark Park, Greater London, England
Record Id: 3022
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Southwark Park is a 19th-century public park of around 26 hectares, with an extension of some 4 hectares (King's Stairs Gardens) in the 1980s. Rundown in the latter-20th century, it was very well restored by 2001 with HLF funding, the works including a replica bandstand and bowling pavilion, and the lake restored to its original pre-World War 2 size and the main gates repaired. Other facilities include a cafe, visitor’s centre, art gallery, sports track and wildlife area.
Brief history of site
Prior to becoming a public park, the site was used for market gardening and was owned by the Lord of Rotherhithe Manor. Pressure for a public park in the area began in the 1850s and in 1857 the new Metropolitan Board of Works was persuaded that Bermondsey and Rotherhithe, as well as Finsbury, were most in need and a site was approved. Southwark Park was laid out by the MBW and opened on 19 June 1869. The original layout had a wide carriage drive around the perimeter, part of which survives; various facilities were added by 1885, including a new lake and a bandstand, and in the early-20th century a lido and the Ada Salter Rose Garden were among the new facilities.
Address: Southwark Park, Jamaica Road, Southwark, Greater London, SE16 2UA
Locality: Greater London
Greater London; Southwark
Historical County: Surrey
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||177||Grid Ref:||TQ352790|
There are entrances to the park on Jamaica Road, Lower Road, Southwark Park Road and Gomm Road.
Tube: Bermondsey, Canada Water (Jubilee). London Overground: Canada Water, Surrey Quays, Rotherhithe. Bus: 1, 47, 188, 199, 225, 381, 395, P13.
Opening contact details:
This is a municipal park for general public use.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: urban park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1867 to 1869
Main period of development: Mid 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 26.53