Southill Park, Biggleswade, England
Record Id: 3016
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Southill Park consists of an 18th- to 19th-century landscape park, which at its most extensive covered about 200 hectares. The park includes 20th century ornamental gardens of about 4 hectares.
Brief history of site
A new house was constructed in the 1720s. The old mansion house was demolished and its site used in new gardens. The formal layout was largely removed about 1777 by Lancelot Brown, who created the majority of the present landscape park and lake. Henry Holland remodelled the house in the late-1790s.
Address: Southill Park, Southill, Biggleswade, Bedfordshire, SG18 9LJ
Central Bedfordshire; Southill
Historical County: Bedfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||153||Grid Ref:||TL143420|
South-west of Biggleswade, off the B658
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 200