Shugborough, Stafford, England
Record Id: 2977
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Shugborough has mid-18th-century pleasure grounds, landscape park and walled garden. There are some notable garden buildings by James Stuart and John Webb. There is a formal garden designed by William Andrews Nesfield in about 1855.
Brief history of site
The park has undergone two main phases of development, from around 1720 to 1773, and 1795 to 1805. The park was extended around 1795 after a flood. The site was restored after 1966.
Address: Milford, ST17 0XB
Staffordshire; Stafford; Colwich
Historical County: Staffordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||127||Grid Ref:||SJ992225|
The site is 6 miles east of Stafford, off junction 13 of the M6.
Opening contact details:
The site is open daily between March and October. See:
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: historic house
Site first created: 1720 to 1805
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 288