Shrubland Park, Ipswich, England
Record Id: 2976
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Shrubland Park has elaborate and extensive Italianate terraced gardens and pleasure grounds of 25 hectares, set within parkland of 175 hectares.
Brief history of site
The Shrubland estate is thought to have originated with the building of the Old Hall by the Booth family in the early 16th century. Sir William Middleton purchased Shrubland in 1788 and the same year commissioned Humphry Repton (1752-1818) to suggest improvements, some of which were carried out. The terraced gardens were laid out by Charles Barry between 1848 and 1852, based upon an 1830 plan by J.P. Gandy-Deering. It was modified by William Robinson in 1888.
Address: Needham Market, IP6 9QJ
Suffolk; Mid Suffolk; Barham
Historical County: Suffolk
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||156||Grid Ref:||TM126525|
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: house
Site Style : Italianate garden
Site first created: 1848 to 1852
Main period of development: Mid 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 25