Shortgrove Park, (also known as Shortgrove Hall), Saffron Walden, England
Record Id: 2970
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Shortgrove Park has the remains of an 18th-century landscape park covering approximately 176 hectares. The land was divided in the mid- and later 20th century.
Brief history of site
A new mansion was built on the site is 1684. Gardens and canals were laid out in the early-18th century. In 1753 Lancelot Brown was called in to begin the laying out of new grounds around the house. Between then and the 1770s Brown also made substantial changes to the park. William Smith lived at Shortgrove until the 1870s, during which time he and the Essex landscape gardener William Chater laid out expansive gardens to the east and north-east, including developing the area within the old walled gardens. The park however was left much as Brown had designed it.
Address: Shortgrove Hall, Newport, Saffron Walden, Essex , CB11 3TX
Locality: Saffron Walden
Essex; Uttlesford; Newport
Historical County: Essex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||154||Grid Ref:||TL526353|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1710 to 1779
Main period of development: 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 176