Shobdon, Leominster, England
Record Id: 2967
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Shobdon is an 18th-century landscape park with the remains of formal gardens dating from around 1700, around the site of the former house. Part of the former Norman church serves as an eyecatcher. The house was demolished in 1933.
Brief history of site
Shobdon Court was built around 1700. The gardens around the house were described in 1705. There were improvements in the 1720s and 1740s, and new gardens laid out in the mid-19th century. The house was demolished in 1933.
Address: Shobdon, Herefordshire, HR6 9LZ
Herefordshire, County of; Shobdon
Historical County: Herefordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||149||Grid Ref:||SO400628|
Seven miles north-west of Leominster via the A44, then north on the A4110, then west on the B4362.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1700 to 1720
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Survival: Part: ground/below ground level remains
Site Size (Hectares): 185