Shipton Court, Oxford, England
Record Id: 2963
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Shipton Court is an early-17th-century manor house. Much of the original estate has been sold, and the house now stands in approximately 12 hectares of formal gardens which were redesigned in the early-20th century.
Brief history of site
Shipton Court was built around 1603 by the Lacey family. Large-scale restorations and alterations were undertaken after 1900. During the Second World War the house was occupied by the army, and in 1947 the estate was split and sold by auction. The house was divided into apartments in 1977.
Address: Shipton Court, Shipton-under-Wychwood, Oxfordshire, OX7 6DB
Oxfordshire; West Oxfordshire; Shipton-under-Wyc
Historical County: Oxfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||163||Grid Ref:||SP278175|
4 miles north-east of Burford
Form of site: formal garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: manor house
Site Style : formal
Site first created: After 1603
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Survival: Part: ground/below ground level remains
Site Size (Hectares): 12