Sheringham Hall, North Norfolk, England
Record Id: 2961
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Sheringham Hall has a landscape park designed by Humphry Repton, covering 130 hectares, set in a wider agricultural landscape of 500 hectares. The park contains mature woodlands and a large variety of rhododendrons introduced in the early-20th century. Other planting includes 15 varieties of magnolia and large specimen pieris. A garden temple was constructed in 1975 and the park also has several viewing towers.
Brief history of site
The current landscape began to be formed in the late-18th century, with the planting of extensive woods on the hilltops. The estate was purchased in 1811 by Abbot Upcher who immediately commissioned Humphry Repton and his architect son John Adey Repton to design a new house. The building of the house and the laying out of the park and garden ran concurrently and were all largely, but not entirely complete by 1817. A collection of rhododendrons was started in the woodlands in the 1850s.
Address: Sheringham, NR26 8TL
Locality: North Norfolk
Norfolk; North Norfolk; Upper Sheringham
Historical County: Norfolk
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||133||Grid Ref:||TG134423|
Opening contact details:
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1811 to 1817
Main period of development: Early 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 130