Sheriff Hutton Hall, York, England
Record Id: 2960
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Sheriff Hutton Hall has an associated landscape park and deer park. Other features include early-17th-century formal gardens, raised and sunken gardens, a terrace system, statuary, stonework and outbuildings.
Brief history of site
In 1335 licence was granted to Ralph de Nevill to impark his woods. By 1616 there was a`Laund House' or hunting lodge on the site. Between 1619 and 1624 Ingram built a substantial new house and attached garden at Sheriff Hutton. The Thompson family remodelled the house in the 1730s, pulling down the side wings, and laid out the landscape park during the 18th century or early to mid-19th century.
Address: Sheriff Hutton, York, North Yorkshire, YO60 6RH
North Yorkshire; Ryedale; Sheriff Hutton
Historical County: North Riding of Yorkshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||100||Grid Ref:||SE661656|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1619 to 1624
Main period of development: 18th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 55