Barton House, Moreton-in-Marsh, England
Record Id: 296
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The original house, which dates from 1558, was extended by Inigo Jones in 1636. There are later alterations. The gardens continue to develop and include a Victorian kitchen garden, a secret garden, a rose garden, a Japanese garden, a Himalayan garden, a catalpa walk, a vineyard planted in 2000, and an exotic garden, planted in 2002, which features palm, cypress and olive trees. The gardens occupy 2.6 hectares within a larger estate.
Address: Barton House, Barton -on-the-Heath, Moreton-in-Marsh, GL56 0PJ
Historical County: Warwickshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||151||Grid Ref:||SP256326|
2 miles west of Long Compton off the A3400
Opening contact details:
Limited opening;groups by appointment. Please telephone for details to 01 608 674303
Parking. Disabled access. WCs.
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: manor house
Main period of development: 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 2.6