Sherborne Castle, Yeovil, England
Record Id: 2958
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The landscape was previously a medieval deer park, to which formal gardens were added from the late-17th to early-18th century. These were then extensively 'landscaped' in the later-18th century. Much of the land has been returned to agricultural use, with the present parkland and lake covering around 48 hectares. There are fine mature trees in the parkland and beside the lake.
Brief history of site
Sherborne Old Castle was built between 1107 and 1135. The 'new' castle was built by Sir Walter Raleigh in 1594. The new house was extended between 1600 and 1609 by Simon Basil. There is no certain evidence for 16th century garden work. Extensive formal gardens were created in the 17th century between the two Castles, involving terraces, a bowling green, formal plantations, and a T-shaped canal fed and formed from the river Yeo. Capability Brown was consulted in 1756 (when Sherborne Lake was begun) and again between 1775-1779.
Address: Sherborne Castle Estates, Cheap Street, Sherborne, Dorset, DT9 3PY
Dorset; West Dorset; Sherborne
Historical County: Dorset
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||194||Grid Ref:||ST649164|
From the M3, M5 or A30, follow signs for Yeovil or Sherbourne.
Opening contact details:
The castle and grounds are open to the public every day except Mondays and Fridays between April and October. Please see:http://www.sherbornecastle.com/opening-times-and-admission-prices/
The Old Castle is in the care of English Heritage, and is open daily from 10 am between April and October.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: castle
Site first created: 1594
Main period of development: 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 420