Sharpham House, Totnes, England
Record Id: 2953
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Sharpham House is an 18th-century landscape park, with mid-20th-century formal gardens and 19th-century pleasure grounds, laid out around a Palladian mansion dating from 1770. The landscape is thought to have been designed by Capability Brown.
The estate borders the River Dart, and is now run by a charitable trust. Some of the parkland is now returned to agriculture. The estate has four tenanted farms, which include a cheese dairy and vineyard.
Brief history of site
In 1748 the estate was sold by Gilbert Yard to Philip Cockey. The sale particulars noted extensive woodlands on the estate, and a 'Mansion House & several Wall'd Gardens' which are also shown on a survey of 1749. A new villa was built to designs by Sir Robert Taylor between 1765 and 1769. The construction of the house and improvement of the landscape appears to have been completed in about 1800. The house was sold about 1960 to Mr and Mrs Maurice Ash, for whom formal gardens were laid out by Percy Cane. Sharpham House is now vested in the Sharpham Trust.
Address: Sharpham House, Ashprington, Totnes, Devon, TQ9 7UT
Devon; South Hams; Ashprington
Historical County: Devon
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||202||Grid Ref:||SX827579|
Sharpham House lies south of Totnes, west of the A381.
Opening contact details:
The gardens around the house are usually only open on a few weekends a year. Please contact the Trust if you would like to visit the gardens. Many other areas of the estate are open to the public.
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Educational
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: Before 1748
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 120