Shakespeare Gardens, New Place, Stratford-on-Avon, England
Record Id: 2949
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
New Place, Stratford, is the site of a late-medieval house once belonging to William Shakespeare. The house was demolished in the late-18th century. An ornamental garden, partly in the Elizabethan style, was constructed on the site in the 20th century. The garden covers 0.5 hectares, and includes the 'Knott Garden' and the 'Great Garden' with a long border.
Brief history of site
In the late-15th century Hugh Clopton built a large house in Stratford, known as New Place. The property was sold to William Shakespeare in 1597, and passed to his daughter on his death in 1616. It remained in the family until 1670. The house was demolished in 1759, as the result of a dispute over poor rates. In 1861 a public subscription was raised to purchase the adjacent Nash's House and the grounds of New Place. Simple pleasure grounds were laid out after 1872 and the property was transferred to the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust in 1884. In 1918 Ernest Law submitted designs for a sunken garden, which was created in 1919-20.
Address: Nash's House and New Place, Chapel Street, Stratford-on-Avon, CV37 6EP
Historical County: Warwickshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||151||Grid Ref:||SP201 548|
Opening contact details:
The site is open from April to August, from 10 am to 5 pm (6 pm in peak season).
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: commemorative
Site Style : Tudor-style garden
Site first created: After 1861
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 0.5