Sezincote, Chipping Norton, England
Record Id: 2945
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
This is an early-19th-century landscape garden with 20th-century developments. The gardens are set within a larger park of around 100 hectares, surrounding an early-19th-century house. Features include a water garden with waterfalls and a grotto.
Brief history of site
In 1795, Colonel John Cockerell returned from Bengal and bought the estate of Sezincote. He started some building work on the estate, including the remodelling of the original house, but died before it could be completed. In about 1805, John's brother Charles had a new house built at Sezincote, around the original house. It was designed by his brother, Samuel Pepys Cockerell. The park and lake were probably designed by Humphry Repton around 1804-5.
Address: Moreton-in-Marsh, Gloucestershire, L56 9AW
Locality: Chipping Norton
Gloucestershire; Cotswold; Sezincote
Historical County: Gloucestershire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||151||Grid Ref:||SP172311|
The gardens lie on the A44 towards Evesham, 1.5 miles from Moreton-in-Marsh.
Opening contact details:
The gardens are open on Thursdays, Fridays and Bank Holiday Mondays from 2 pm until 6 between January and November.
Form of site: landscape garden
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site Style : Indian-style garden
Site first created: 1795 to 1805
Main period of development: Early 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 100