Barrow Court, Barrow Gurney, England
Record Id: 294
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Barrow Court has an enclosed garden layout of around 6 hectares, with the remains of a landscape park of some 60 hectares. The park dates from the 18th century, whilst the gardens are primarily late 19th century. The gardens probably incorporate the earlier layout. The site has a formal garden, also a surviving large kitchen garden. The house has been divided and is in several ownerships.
Brief history of site
A Benedictine nunnery was established on the site in 1211.
The formal gardens were laid out between 1882 and 1896.
Address: Barrow Court, BS48 3RW
Locality: Barrow Gurney
North Somerset; Barrow Gurney
Historical County: Somerset
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||182||Grid Ref:||ST515684|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: multiple dwelling
Site first created: 1211
Main period of development: Late 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 60