Sefton Park, Liverpool, England
Record Id: 2935
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Sefton Park is a public park first opened in 1872. The Palm House was opened in the 1890s, and there has been further 20th-century development. A restoration programme was commenced in the early-21st century. The site covers 108 hectares, and features a statue of Peter Pan, grottoes and a boating lake.
Brief history of site
Sefton Park occupies part of a medieval deer park which surrounded the village of Toxteth. The land was purchased in 1864, and in 1866 a brief was issued for a public competition for the design of the park. The winners were Edouard Andre and Louis Hornblower. The park was opened by Prince Arthur in 1872, though it had not been completed by that time.
Address: Sefton Park, Toxteth, Liverpool, Merseyside., L17 1AP
Historical County: Lancashire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||109||Grid Ref:||SJ377877|
South-east of Liverpool city centre.
Opening contact details:
The park is open daily for general public use. Please see:http://liverpool.gov.uk/leisure-parks-and-events/parks-and-greenspaces/sefton-park/
Sefton Park Palm House is managed by Sefton Park Palm House Preservation Trust and is open to the public 10.30 - 16.00 with extended hours over the summer.
WCs, refreshments & children's play area.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: urban park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1864 to 1872
Main period of development: Late 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 108