Seaton Delaval, (also known as Seaton Delaval Hall), Northumberland, England
Record Id: 2931
The following is from the Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest. For the most up-to-date Register entry, please visit the The National Heritage List for England (NHLE):
Seaton Delaval was owned by the de la Val family from the early 12th century. The old village of Seaton Delaval which lay close to the church disappeared gradually some time after 1311. By 1628 there were no remaining houses, but there was a flock of 1300 sheep (Beresford 1965). In 1628 Sir Ralph Delaval (1622-91) inherited and in 1660 was created a baronet. His eldest son, also Sir Ralph, died in 1696 without a male heir and his second son, Sir John Delaval, inherited. Sir John was obliged to sell the estate to his cousin, Admiral George Delaval, who from 1718 began building a new house at Seaton Delaval, designed by Sir John Vanbrugh (1664-1726), but died in 1723. His nephew, Captain Francis Delaval (1692-1752), inherited Seaton Delaval, having already inherited Ford Castle, Northumberland, from his mother in 1711. He married Rhoda Apreece, heiress to Doddington Hall (see description of this site elsewhere in the Register) in Lincolnshire. The building of Seaton Delaval was completed in 1728. A fire in the Hall in 1822 rendered the main block uninhabitable (Country Life 1923). During both the First and Second World Wars the Hall was requisitioned. Restoration of the Hall has taken place since 1950. The Hall and the estate continue (2000) in private ownership.
1822: A fire in the Hall rendered the main block uninhabitable.
1914 to 1918: The hall was requisitioned.
1939 to 1945: The hall was requisitioned.
After 1950: Restoration of the Hall has taken place since 1950.
2009: The hall was aquired by the National Trust.
People associated with this site
Designer: James Philip Cuming Russell (born 03/04/1920 died 28/04/1996)
Architect: Sir John Vanbrugh (born 24/01/1664 died 1726)
Sea Walk which connects the site with the village of Seaton Sluice.