Sandon Park, Stafford, England
Record Id: 2906
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Sandon Park has the remains of formal gardens, pleasure grounds and a landscape park. The gardens and pleasure grounds cover around 20 hectares, in a 230 hectare park.
Brief history of site
Around 1770 Sandon Hall was rebuilt on a new, hilltop site. The park was laid out between 1778 and 1787 by William Emes, and again around 1800 by John Webb. There was further work in the mid-19th century by Nesfield. The Hall was rebuilt in 1850 by William Burn, after the earlier house was damaged by fire.
Address: Sandon, Staffordshire, ST18 0BZ
Staffordshire; Stafford; Sandon and
Historical County: Staffordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||127||Grid Ref:||SJ956287|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1770 to 1787
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 230