Sandling Park, Hythe, England
Record Id: 2905
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Sandling Park has a mid-19th-century woodland garden of 13 hectares with further development in the 20th century. Features include a specialist rhododendron collection. The garden is set within a 19th-century park and 600 hectares of agricultural land. The gardens are open for one day a year for charity.
Brief history of site
The original house was built by the Italian architect Bonomi for the Deedes family in 1796, and the park was probably fenced for deer. Henry Milner was asked to prepare a plan for the gardens in 1897. Much of the site was destroyed by enemy action in 1942, and the late Major Hardy built the present house.
Address: Sandling Road, Westenhanger, CT21 4HN
Kent; Shepway; Saltwood
Historical County: Kent
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||189||Grid Ref:||TR142367|
The site is two miles north-west of Hythe.
Form of site: woodland garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: house
Site Style : informal
Site first created: 1796 to 1950
Main period of development: Mid 19th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 13