Sandleford Priory (St Gabriel's School), Newbury, England
Record Id: 2904
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
The remains of an 18th-century landscape park created about 1780 on an earlier site. There is also 19th-century planting. The site is now in divided use and ownership, with a central park and garden area of 13 hectares, and adjacent areas of park to the north and south of about 42 hectares.
Brief history of site
An Augustinian priory existed on the site from about 1200. The priory was closed in 1478. A painting of 1744 shows a terrace on the south front leading down to several rectangular canals in the area which is now the south park. After 1775, James Wyatt was commissioned to make changes to the house, and Lancelot Brown provided plans for the park and garden in 1781. In 1947 the estate was sold in separate lots and remains in divided ownership, the house being used as a girls' day school.
Address: St Gabriel's School, Sandleford Priory, Newbury, Berkshire, RG20 9BD
West Berkshire; Greenham
Historical County: Berkshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||174||Grid Ref:||SU477645|
Situated on the A34 2 miles south of Newbury.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Recreational/sport
Context or principal building: school
Site first created: After 1200
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 55