Sandford Park, Chipping Norton, England
Record Id: 2903
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Sandford Park is a landscape park covering about 50 hectares. Traces of the early formal and landscape gardens remain, overlaid by a 1930s design by Sir Geoffrey and Lady Peto which covers about 16 hectares.
Brief history of site
The early 18th-century house was possibly built by Gerard Croker (died 1733), with a mid 18th-century park added to the west. The park reached its present extent after 1772, at which time the pleasure grounds were probably also extended. The estate was split up in the 1920s, the house and park being bought in 1930 by Sir Geoffrey Peto and his wife who created a new formal garden south-west of the house, extending the garden west into the park.
Address: Sandford Park, Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, OX7 7AJ
Locality: Chipping Norton
Oxfordshire; West Oxfordshire; Sandford St.
Historical County: Oxfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||164||Grid Ref:||SP420267|
The site is east of Chipping Norton.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1733 to 1799
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 50