Barons Court, Newtownstewart, Northern Ireland
Record Id: 290
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Barons Court is set in a landscape park incorporating three lakes. The mid-19th-century parterre is gone. There is a maintained woodland garden, and there are terraces at the house with a planted area under development. There are mature trees in the deer park.
Brief history of site
The demesne was established in the 16th century. The Hamilton family built a castle and bawn at Derrywoone, within the present demesne, in 1612. In the 1740s a Palladian villa was built on another site. Tree planting began in 1746, and a deer park was formed in 1751. A new house on another site was begun in 1767. This was progressed from 1779 and completed in 1782. The park was landscaped at this time. Further additions to the house were made in the 1790s. The house was further remodelled in the 1830s. In the 1840s the park was extended and redesigned. In the mid-19th century a parterre was laid out on the west front. A terraced garden was laid out in 1876 on the south front. In 1946 the house was reduced and remodelled.
Address: Newtownstewart, CountyTyrone, BT78 4EZ
Historical County: Tyrone
|OSNI Discoverer map sheet number:||12||Grid Ref:||H362828|
Three miles south-west of Newtownstewart on the B84.
Opening contact details:
The estate is open to paying visitors for a wide range of recreational activities.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1550 to 1612
Main period of development: 18th century