Roberts Park, Baildon, (also known as Saltaire Park and People's Park), Bradford, England
Record Id: 2896
The following is from the Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest. For the most up-to-date Register entry, please visit the The National Heritage List for England (NHLE):
Saltaire was laid out by Lockwood & Mawson as a model town around Salts Mill for Sir Titus Salt (1803-76) during the years 1851-71. An undated map by Lockwood & Mawson shows the executed plan. The park was one of the last parts of the town to be completed and at the opening ceremony Salts Mill closed so that the workers could attend. Initially called the People's Park or Saltaire Park, it was given to Shipley Urban District Council by their newly elected chairman, James Roberts, who was also the manager of Salts Mill, c 1910. Following a quarrel with the Council he took it back and presented it to the City of Bradford in 1920 from which time it was called Roberts Park. The park remains (1999) in the ownership of the City of Bradford Metropolitan District Council.
People associated with this site
Designer: William Gay (born 1814 died 1893)
The bandstand is undergoing restoration.