Ryton House, Coventry, England
Record Id: 2888
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Ryton House is an early-19th-century villa set within grounds covering 6 hectares. Features include a small park, a lake, and a flower garden.
Brief history of site
The site was part of an Enclosure Award of just over 10 hectares which was made to the Wilcox family in 1760. Stephen Freeman built the present villa in 1806-7. A map of 1820 indicates that by that date the basic form of the surviving landscape had been achieved. The site was until recently a Royal British Legion Club. The site is now derelict.
Address: Ryton House, Leamington Road, Ryton on Dunsmore, Warwickshire, CV8 3QE
Warwickshire; Rugby; Ryton-on-Dunsmore
Historical County: Warwickshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||140||Grid Ref:||SP389741|
North of the A45 south-east of Coventry.
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: villa
Site first created: 1760 to 1807
Main period of development: Early 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 6