Rudding Park, Harrogate, England
Record Id: 2876
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Rudding Park is an early-19th-century landscaped park of 107 hectares, forming the setting for a country house. There are also mid-20th-century gardens by James Russell.
Brief history of site
Rudding Park was originally part of the forest of Knaresborough and some of the ancient oaks were retained within the parkland. Humphry Repton drew up a Red Book in 1790, but the exact extent of his contributions to the development of the site is unknown. The old house was demolished after 1805 and a new mansion was built on a different site. Sir Everard Radcliffe redeveloped the garden in the 1950s with the help of James Russell, building a terrace and garden room.
Address: Follifoot, HG3 1JH
North Yorkshire; Harrogate; Follifoot
Historical County: Yorkshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||104||Grid Ref:||SE337533|
The site is just south of Harrogate, off the A658. Please see:
Opening contact details:
The site is now in use as a hotel, restaurant, golf club, wedding and conference facility. There is also a campsite.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Recreational/sport
Context or principal building: hotel
Main period of development: Early 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 107