Barningham Hall, Matlaske, England
Record Id: 286
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Barningham Hall is set in an early-19th-century landscape park which includes woodlands, a lake and a walled garden. The gardens surrounding the hall cover 1.5 hectares, the south terrace of which was landscaped by Humphry Repton. The parkland includes the remains of St Mary's Church.
Brief history of site
The hall was built in 1612, probably replacing an earlier building. By 1785, the west avenue had been planted and ornamental grounds had been laid out around the hall, but there is no evidence of a park from this period. Humphry and John Adey Repton were commissioned to remodel the hall in 1805. It is thought that they were also involved in the layout of the park and gardens. After 1815 the park was expanded, covering 100 hectares by 1850. Since that time it has changed very little.
Address: Matlaske, Holt, North Norfolk, NR11 7HY
Norfolk; North Norfolk; Matlask
Historical County: Norfolk
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||133||Grid Ref:||TG147354|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: Before 1805
Main period of development: Early 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 150