Barley Wood, Wrington, England
Record Id: 284
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Barley Wood is an early-20th century formal garden, parkland and extensive kitchen garden. The walled kitchen garden, south of Long Lane, has been restored as a working kitchen garden.
Although not open to the public in the general sense, the walled garden has a shop and cafe which are open daily from 9 until 4.
Brief history of site
The estate was owned by Hannah More from 1784 to 1828. The house was built for her in 1801. She lived there until 1828, after which it was sold to William Henry Harford. In 1897 it was sold it Henry Herbert Wills, who added a large extension to the house in 1901 and called in Thomas Mawson to work on the gardens in 1910. Mawson recommended only minor changes, including the addition of a rose garden.
Address: Long Lane, BS40 5SA
North Somerset; Wrington
Historical County: Somerset
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||172||Grid Ref:||ST479631|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: After 1801
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 11