Riffhams, Chelmsford, England
Record Id: 2807
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Riffhams has an early-19th-century landscape park of approximately 20 hectares including 10 hectares of parkland and gardens around the house. Features include a stream, dammed to create two lakes, which runs from east to west through the centre of the park.
Brief history of site
John Robert Spencer, who later changed his name to Phillips, inherited the estate in 1809. He chose to build a new mansion on a spectacular site about 600 metres to the south-west of the old one. The house was begun in 1815, and in the same year Humphry Repton was called in to give advice on the grounds.
Address: Riffhams, Danbury, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3 4AX
Essex; Chelmsford; Danbury
Historical County: Essex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||167||Grid Ref:||TL771062|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1815
Main period of development: Early 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 20