New Town Gardens, The, Regent Gardens, Edinburgh, Scotland
Record Id: 2787
This site is NOT open to public.
Part/component area of: New Town Gardens, The
Brief description of site
Regent Gardens occupy a triangular area on the flank of Calton Hill. The gardens retain their early-19th-century structure. A terrace planted with limes is set above a ha-ha at the top of the gardens. Below it is a central lawn on sloping ground with parkland trees. Walks sheltered by trees surround the lawn.
Brief history of site
Regent Gardens were laid out in the early-19th century with the help of the botanist Patrick Neill and Dr Robert Graham, Regius Keeper of the Royal Botanic Garden and Professor of Medicine and Botany. The gardens are the largest of the New Town Gardens still in private ownership.
Address: Regent Gardens, Calton Terrace Lane, Edinburgh, EH7 5BZ
Edinburgh, City of
Historical County: Midlothian
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||66||Grid Ref:||NT266742|
Form of site: designed urban space
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1830 to 1832
Main period of development: Early 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 4.8