Rainthorpe Hall, Norwich, England
Record Id: 2757
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Rainthorpe Hall is a 16th-century hall surrounded by a park and woodland of 19th-century origin covering 24 hectares. There are also ornamental gardens of 2 hectares beside the house. The gardens incorporate features from several periods, of particular note being an Elizabethan Knot Garden.
Brief history of site
The present house was begun in 1503, replacing an earlier house which was destroyed by fire in 1500. The house was substantially enlarged and altered between 1579 and 1611. By 1797 a small park was associated with the site. Sir Charles Hervey bought the estate after 1878, and made further substantial alterations and additions to the hall. He also built the stable block and gardener's cottage. In 1993 the hall and gardens were divided from the park and both sold as separate lots.
Address: Tasburgh, NR15 1RQ
Norfolk; South Norfolk; Tasburgh
Historical County: Norfolk
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||134||Grid Ref:||TM202971|
Form of site: park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1503 to 1611
Main period of development: 19th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 24