Ragley Hall, Alcester, England
Record Id: 2756
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Ragley Hall is situated within an 18th-century landscape park by Lancelot Brown, covering about 340 hectares. Late-19th-century formal gardens by Robert Marnock lie adjacent to the Hall. Features include formal gardens, a rose garden and a woodland walk.
Brief history of site
In 1370 John Rous was granted a licence to crenellate his manor house at Ragley. This fortified manor was re-built in the late 17th century. The new house was designed by Roger or William Hurlbut, with improvements suggested by the scientist and amateur architect Robert Hooke in 1678. An illustration of 1707 shows formal gardens and parterres, and avenues stretching through surrounding parkland. The house and gardens were left unfinished in 1683. The Earl of Hertford completed the interior of the house after 1750, and commissioned Lancelot Brown to improve the park. After 1870, the fifth Marquess renovated Ragley, commissioning garden plans from Robert Marnock.
Address: Ragley Hall, Alcester, Warwickshire, B49 5NJ
Warwickshire; Stratford-on-Avon; Alcester
Historical County: Warwickshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||150||Grid Ref:||SP072 555|
South of the A422, 2 miles south-west of Alcester.
Opening contact details:
The site is open between February and October, daily in peak season but with more restricted hours at other times. Please see:
Parking. Refreshments. WCs. Disabled access. Dogs on woodland walk only.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: great house
Site first created: After 1667
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 340