Radway Grange, (also known as The Grange, Radway), Banbury, England
Record Id: 2753
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
The site is an mid-18th-century landscape garden around an 18th-century Gothic revival house, owned and improved by Sanderson Miller. The gardens occupy about 80 hectares (45 hectares registered). Features include woodland with walks and ornamental structures.
Brief history of site
The site had formerly been property of the monks of Stoneleigh Abbey. At the Dissolution Radway Grange was purchased by Francis Goodyere in 1545. The site changed hands a number of times, and in 1715 was sold to Sanderson Miller, a merchant from Banbury. In 1737 it was left to his son, the noted amateur architect Sanderson Miller. From 1739 Miller undertook a programme of improvement on his own property at Radway which is partially recorded in his surviving diaries for 1749-50 and 1756.
Address: The Grange, Radway, CV35 0UE
Warwickshire; Stratford-on-Avon; Radway
Historical County: Warwickshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||151||Grid Ref:||SP370480|
The site is north-west of Banbury, south of the B4086 near Edge Hill.
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: detached house
Site first created: After 1739
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 80