Quendon Park, (also known as Quendon Hall), Saffron Walden, England
Record Id: 2744
The following is from the Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest. For the most up-to-date Register entry, please visit the The National Heritage List for England (NHLE):
Quendon Hall was originally known as 'Newman Hall' after the Thomas Newmans, father and son, who built a gabled timber house in a half-H plan in the mid 16th century. The estate later passed into the hands of the Turner family and it was Thomas Turner who was responsible for the remodelling of the house in about 1670-1680, casing it in brick and giving it the name Quendon Hall. He also remodelled the gardens and planted great north and south avenues in the park.
In 1717 the estate was sold to John Maurice who, in 1741, sold it on to Henry Cranmer. Henry enlarged the park, and later generations of his family added a beamed dining room to the north of the Hall in the 1860s. Quendon Hall remained in the Cranmer (later Cranmer-Byng) family until 1907, when the estate was sold to Sir William Foot Mitchell. At about this time the gardens were updated and a new south-west wing added to the Hall. In 1956 the property was put up for sale following a fire and was purchased by Sir Robert Adeane, who stayed for thirteen years before selling on to the shipping magnate, the third Earl of Inchcape in 1969. The third Earl remodelled the interior of the Hall, dug a dry moat in the gardens, and re-routed the south drive before selling to Tower Investments in 1980.
The site remains (2000) in single corporate ownership.
1956: The property was put up for sale following a fire.