Prince Consort Gardens, Weston-super-Mare, England
Record Id: 2706
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The Prince Consort Gardens is a municipal park created in the 1860s.
Brief history of site
The gardens were planted in the 1860s and named in memory of Prince Albert.
Address: Weston-super-Mare, North Somerset, BS23 1JN
North Somerset; Weston-super-Mare
Historical County: Somerset
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||182||Grid Ref:||ST308623|
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: public park
Context or principal building: public park
Site first created: 1860 to 1869
Main period of development: Mid 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 0.8
Prince Consort Gardens consists of a roughly triangular garden on the sea front overlooking Birnbeck Island and pier. The Garden divides into two areas, one being the upper level plateau abutting Upper Kewstoke Road and on the western side is the cliff face, which abutts Birkett Road. The garden is laid to lawn with tarmac paths. A flower bed surrounds it and in the centre is a circular pond with a fountain. To the south of this area is a rockery and hedge behind which is a larger pond. This pond is now concrete-lined and used in the summer by children paddling or sailing toy boats.
Prince Consort Gardens are well-maintained by the volunteer Friends of Prince Consort Gardens group.
Owner: North Somerset Council
Town Hall, Walliscote Grove Road, Weston-super-Mare
Conservation Area Reference Birkbeck
Opening contact details:
This is a municipal park for general public use.
The area was originally a fairly bare windswept hillside known as 'Flagstaff Hill'. In the 1860s the area was upgraded. The gardens were planted and named in memory of Prince Albert. The Birnbeck Pier was opened in 1867. A picture of Prince Consort Promenade in 1864 shows the pond, fountain and flower beds when they were fairly new.
The lower triangle (now a car park) contained the Flagstaff, a fountain and tennis lawn. The evergreen trees and shrubs provided a screen from the strong westerly sea winds (see the Ordnance Survey map of the area, 1886).
Prince Consort Gardens were handed over for the free use of the public in 1883 by Mr. Cecil Hugh Smyth-Pigott.
01/06/2013: The site was designated as a Town Green, which means that it cannot be developed, in perpetuity.
This pond at the southern end, is used in the summer by children paddling or sailing toy boats.
The upper plateau is mainly laid to lawn having a border with Upper Kewstoke Road containing large phormiums.
There is a natural cliff face which borders Birkett Road containing a lower esplanade which was laid in 1882 and includes a Victorian shelter.
In the centre of the upper plateau is a circular pond containing goldfish and with a water feature.
Organisations associated with this site
Friends of Prince Consort Gardens Role: Special Interest Group
Sources of information
Urban District Council of Weston-Super-Mare Application for a Charter of Incorporation (Weston-Super-Mare, 1935)
Ordnance Survey Map of Weston-Super-Mare (1886)
Contributor or Recorder Avon Gardens Trust; Friends of Prince Consort Gardens