Preston Manor, Brighton, England
Record Id: 2702
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Preston Manor has 18th-century gardens occupying about two hectares within a 30-hectare Victorian park, with early-20th-century additions simplified in the late-20th century. Associated with the site is also a detached rock garden, which rises precipitously from the valley floor.
Brief history of site
About 30 hectares of an existing private estate were purchased in 1883 by Brighton Corporation to form a public park. Preston Park was laid out by the Corporation's Head Gardener, James Shrives and the Borough Engineer, Philip Lockwood, in 1883-1884 and formally opened to the public on 8 November 1884. The Rock Garden on the Rookery site, on the western side of Preston Road, was laid out in 1936. In November 1932, Brighton Corporation took possession of the remaining land and buildings of Preston Manor, opening the Manor to the public in 1933. Its gardens became part of the park.
Address: Preston Manor, Preston Drove, Brighton, East Sussex, BN1 6SD
Brighton and Hove; Preston Park
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||198||Grid Ref:||TQ303064|
Less than 2 miles from the centre of Brighton.
Opening contact details:
The site is open from April to September. Please see:
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: museum
Site first created: 1883 to 1933
Main period of development: 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 30