Poundisford Park, Taunton, England
Record Id: 2693
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Poundisford Park is a deer park of around 178 hectares, dating from the medieval period onwards. There is also an enclosed garden of around 1 hectare dating from the 17th century. The boundary of the registered site continues to be defined by the park pale, a scheduled ancient monument.
Brief history of site
The park was certainly in existence by 1210-11. It was an appendage of the episcopal castle of Taunton, one of the possessions of the medieval bishops of Winchester. In 1534 Bishop Gardiner divided the park and leased it as two agricultural holdings. William Hill bought the lease to the southern half in 1546 and began to build a new house, the present Poundisford Park.
Address: Poundisford, TA3 7AF
Somerset; Taunton Deane; Pitminster
Historical County: Somerset
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||193||Grid Ref:||ST222202|
Form of site: deer park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: Before 1210
Main period of development: Medieval
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 180