Use Places & People to search over 6,600 parks and gardens in the UK and 2,100 biographies of people associated with them. Image location: Bedgebury National Pinetum

Learn about the rich heritage of parks and gardens in Topics.
Image location: Powis Castle

Follow News & Events, updated regularly with the latest information affecting historic parks and gardens. Image location: Sheffield Botanical Gardens

Visit the Schools for ideas and activities to encourage the interest of children and young people in their local parks. Image location: Trentham

Join us as a volunteer and Research & Record historic parks and gardens in your area.
Image location: Cirencester Abbey

View the Illustrated Glossary which provides definitions and accompanying images for terms and concepts associated with historic parks and gardens. Image location: Pannett Park

Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.

Loading...

Brief description of site

Poundisford Park is a deer park of around 178 hectares, dating from the medieval period onwards. There is also an enclosed garden of around 1 hectare dating from the 17th century. The boundary of the registered site continues to be defined by the park pale, a scheduled ancient monument.

Brief history of site

The park was certainly in existence by 1210-11. It was an appendage of the episcopal castle of Taunton, one of the possessions of the medieval bishops of Winchester. In 1534 Bishop Gardiner divided the park and leased it as two agricultural holdings. William Hill bought the lease to the southern half in 1546 and began to build a new house, the present Poundisford Park.

Location information:

Address: Poundisford, TA3 7AF

Locality: Taunton

Local Authorities:

Somerset; Taunton Deane; Pitminster

Historical County: Somerset

OS Landranger Map Sheet Number: 193 Grid Ref: ST222202
Latitude: 50.9759 Longitude: -3.10952

Key information:

Form of site: deer park

Purpose of site: Ornamental

Context or principal building: house

Site first created: Before 1210

Main period of development: Medieval

Survival: Part: standing remains

Site Size (Hectares): 180

Print preview