Port Eliot, Saltash, England
Record Id: 2682
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Port Eliot is a late-18th-century landscape park and woodland of around 180 hectares, containing 19th-century ornamental gardens and pleasure grounds of around 20 hectares. To the east and north the site is bounded by the River Tiddy. A stream which flows from west to east through a valley is dammed to form a lake and fishpond.
Brief history of site
The site was sold to John Champernowne in 1540 after the dissolution of an Augustinian priory on the site. After various changes of ownership it passed to Edward Eliot, who re-modelled the grounds in 1792. Humphry Repton completed a Red Book for the site in 1793, and W S Gilpin made plans for the site in the early-19th century.
Address: Port Eliot Estate Office, St. Germans, Saltash, Cornwall, PL12 5ND
Cornwall; St. Germans
Historical County: Cornwall
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||201||Grid Ref:||SX358580|
On the east side of St Germans, to the north of the A374.
Opening contact details:
The site is open daily, except Fridays, from March to June. Please see:
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1792
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 180