Plympton House, Plymouth, England
Record Id: 2666
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Plympton House has an early-18th century formal garden of 3 hectares forming the setting for a town house.
Brief history of site
The site of Plympton House was assembled over a period of years in the late-17th century by Sir George Treby, who began to build a new house which was completed in around 1720. From 1835 the house was in use as a private lunatic asylum. The property was acquired by the Roman Catholic Church in the 20th century, and remains in institutional use today.
Address: Plympton House, Plympton, Devon, PL7 1QN
Historical County: Devon
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||201||Grid Ref:||SX538562|
In Plympton village.
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: town house
Site first created: 1690 to 1720
Main period of development: Early 18th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 3.5