Plumpton Place, Lewesham, England
Record Id: 2663
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Plumpton Place has 20th-century formal and informal lakeside gardens by Edwin Lutyens and Gertrude Jekyll. The garden is set in a wider landscape of woodland and pasture of 25 hectares with 4 hectares of gardens around the moated house.
Brief history of site
Construction of the present house was begun in 1568. Edward Hudson purchased Plumpton Place in 1927 from the Earl of Chichester, and commissioned Sir Edwin Lutyens to remodel the house and to lay out the gardens. Gertrude Jekyll prepared designs for planting the garden. Although the main structural elements of Lutyens' layout remain intact, Jekyll's planting has not survived.
Address: Plumpton Place, Ditchling Road, Plumpton, Lewesham, Sussex, BN7 3AF
East Sussex; Lewes; Plumpton
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||198||Grid Ref:||TQ360134|
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1927 to 1933
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 4