Pittencrieff Park, Dunfermline, Scotland
Record Id: 2635
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Pittencrieff Park comprises grassed areas which were once parkland, a rock garden and formal gardens as well as later park developments. The main formal garden lies within the old kitchen garden and includes a central walk and island beds. An informal area known as The Glen is a remnant of former planting and rockwork on the banks of the Tower Glen. The site incorporates Dunfermline Abbey church and the ruined facade of the Royal Palace.
Brief history of site
The Pittencrieff estate passed through many owners until Andrew Carnegie bought it in 1903 and donated it as a public park to the people of Dunfermline. The park was laid out by James Whitton, Superintendent of Glasgow Botanic Gardens.
Address: Pittencrieff Park, Pittencrieff Street, Dumfermline, KY12 8QH
Historical County: Fife
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||65||Grid Ref:||NT087870|
Opening contact details:
This is a municipal site, open daily for general public use.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: urban park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: After 1903
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 31