Pitshill, (also known as Wholmes, Newhouse and Holmes), Chichester, England
Record Id: 2634
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Pitshill has informal gardens, pleasure grounds, kitchen gardens and a landscape park, mainly created in the mid to late-19th century around a late-18th century house. The park features an 18th-century folly.
Brief history of site
The early history of the Pitshill estate is uncertain, owing to the absence of deeds and plans. There was a house on the site before 1705. The house was re-modelled after 1760. The estate was enlarged in the late-18th and early-19th century. The extended area included the Manor of Dean, which has an early-17th century manor house (Dean House). Both properties remain in private ownership.
Address: Pitshill, Tillington, Chichester, GU28 9AZ
West Sussex; Chichester; Tillington
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||197||Grid Ref:||SU949229|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site Style : informal
Site first created: Before 1705
Main period of development: Mid 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 38