Pishiobury, (also known as Pishobury), Sawbridgeworth, England
Record Id: 2631
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Pishiobury has the remnants of an 18th-century landscape park, re-designed by Lancelot Brown. At its most extensive the site covered about 100 hectares. The present parkland and agricultural land around the house covers about 17 hectares. Features include an oak walk and a lodge.
Brief history of site
The manor house was re-built in about 1585. Alterations were made by Inigo Jones in 1615. By 1700, the manor house had an associated small deer park, bowling green, walks and ornamental trees. By 1766, the park had been laid out formally with four avenues of trees, and several rectangular enclosures around the house, and possibly kitchen gardens. The house was destroyed by fire soon afterwards. It was rebuilt on the same site around 1782-4 by Jeremiah Miles, under the direction of James Wyatt. The estate was sold into divided ownership in the 20th century.
Address: Pishiobury Park, Harlow Road, Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire, CM21 0AF
Hertfordshire; East Hertfordshire; Sawbridgeworth
Historical County: Hertfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||166||Grid Ref:||TL479138|
South east of Sawbridgeworth
Opening contact details:
This is a municipal park for general public use.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: urban park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: After 1585
Main period of development: 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 65