Pickenham Hall, King's Lynn, England
Record Id: 2619
The following is from the Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest. For the most up-to-date Register entry, please visit the The National Heritage List for England (NHLE):
A house was built on this site in the late 16th century by Aubrey Fisher, which his son occupied between 1660 and 1698, after which it was sold. It subsequently passed into the hands of the Chute family sometime in the mid-18th century who rebuilt the hall in the Palladian style. Faden's county map records that by 1797 the park extended to around 38 hectares, south and east from the hall, but no earlier evidence exists for its origins. The hall was remodelled again in 1829 in Neoclassical style by the architect William Donthorn for William Wiggett Chute and in subsequent years Chute extended the park and widened the river to form a narrow lake. In 1842 the estate was sold to the Applewhaite family. When Edward Archer Applewhaite died in 1889, Charles Applewhaite and Henry Blake were appointed trustees and in 1898 the property was conveyed to Mary Blake who sold it in a semi-derelict state to G W Taylor in 1902. Taylor immediately commissioned the prominent Arts and Crafts architect Robert Weir Schultz to rebuild the house and to lay out new gardens. Taylor sold the estate to speculators in 1918 from whom the Moreton family purchased it in 1925, to develop as a shooting estate. During the Second World War the house was occupied by the Red Cross and the gardens were neglected. Mrs G Moreton instigated a restoration programme before selling the property in the late 1980s to a Mr Daniels. It then passed briefly into corporate ownership before returning to private hands, in which it remains (1999).
Before 1797: By 1797 the park extended to around 38 hectares.
1902 to 1918: The gardens are laid out around the house.
1939 to 1945: The house was occupied by the Red Cross.
People associated with this site
Architect: William John Donthorn (born 1799 died 18/05/1859)
Architect: Robert Weir (born 1860 died 1951)
The boundaries of the park are enclosed on all sides by perimeter woodland belts.