Petworth House, West Sussex, England
Record Id: 2616
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Petworth House has a 16th- and 17th-century park and ornamental pleasure grounds, which were both landscaped by Lancelot Brown between 1752 and 1756. The landscape features in many works by Turner.
Brief history of site
Elaborate Elizabethan gardens were laid out around the house in the late-16th century. In 1688, the sixth Duke of Somerset began rebuilding Petworth House and engaged George London to create formal gardens on its north side. Lancelot Brown drew up designs and carried out extensive works in the park and gardens between 1751 and 1763. Anthony Salvin was employed in 1869 to make further alterations to the house and grounds.
Address: North Street, Petworth, GU28 0AE
Locality: West Sussex
West Sussex; Chichester; Petworth
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||197||Grid Ref:||SU976219|
Opening contact details:
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: great house
Site first created: 1550 to 1763
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 294