Perrett Park, Bristol , England
Record Id: 2613
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Perrett Park is a municipal park dating to around 1900.
Brief history of site
The site was purchased by the Bristol City Corporation in or around 1900.
Address: Knowle, BS4 2BY
Bristol, City of
Historical County: Gloucestershire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||172||Grid Ref:||ST600713|
Opening contact details:
This is a municipal site for general public use.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: public park
Context or principal building: public park
Site first created: 1900
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 6.65
Perrett Park is mostly open grassland, on a steeply sloping site which forms a natural amphitheatre or bowl. At the top of this bowl a long terrace has been created, running along two sides of the park. This terrace has been laid out with rose beds and shrubberies, paved walkways and benches which command a fine view to the west and north.
Perrett Park is maintained by the Parks Department of Bristol City Council. The grass is cut regularly and the park is kept clean and tidy. The terrace gardens are kept in good order.
Owner: Bristol City Council
The Council House, College Green
Terrain: Steeply sloping
The site now occupied by Perrett Park was purchased by Bristol City Corporation from Lady Smyth of Ashton Court for £1,000. £500 of this money was provided by Councillor Perrett, after whom the park is named.
The long terrace gardens of Perrett Park are an unusual feature in a municipal park. They were laid out in 1939-40, and take advantage of the fine natural position of the park. The paved walk along the terrace has fine views to the west and north, and the flower beds and shrubberies provide a good variety of plant form and colour.
Organisations associated with this site
Sources of information
Contributor or Recorder Avon Gardens Trust
There are no images associated with this site