Penns-in-the-Rocks, (also known as Penns Rocks), Royal Tunbridge Wells, England
Record Id: 2600
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Penns-in-the-Rocks is a 20th-century formal gardens of about 2.5 hectares developed around natural rock formations, set within wooded parkland occupying a further 23 hectares. The site is occasionally open under the National Gardens Scheme.
Brief history of site
Penns in the Rocks was acquired by William Penn, the founder of Pennsylvania, on his marriage in 1672. The site was sold to Steven Beeching in the early 1830s. He extended and enlarged the house, then sold it to the Rhys Pryce family, who laid out some of the structure of the present garden in the mid-19th century. It became the home of the poetess, Dorothy Wellesley in 1925. She made a number of additions to the garden. The site was further developed, with advice from Lanning Roper, by Lord and Lady Gibson in 1956.
Address: Penns-in-the-Rocks, Groombridge, Tunbridge Wells, East Sussex, TN3 9PA
Locality: Royal Tunbridge Wells
East Sussex; Wealden; Withyham
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||188||Grid Ref:||TQ521346|
Form of site: rock garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1925 to 1953
Main period of development: 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 26