Aberglasney, Llangathen, Wales
Record Id: 26
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
After an extended period of neglect the house and gardens were taken over by a restoration trust in the 1990s, highly publicised, excavated and extensively restored using modern designers including Penelope Hobhouse and Hal Moggridge.
Brief history of site
Bishop Rudd acquired an earlier property and built 'a handsome seat' here from 1600, including an elaborate Cloister Garden in rustic style. Neglect in the 20th century brought house and gardens to the point of dereliction until rescued by the Aberglasney Restoration Trust.
Address: Aberglasney Gardens, Llangathen, Carmarthenshire, SA32 8QH
Carmarthenshire; Llangathen; Llangathen
Historical County: Carmarthenshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||159||Grid Ref:||SN581221|
Just off the A40, East of Carmarthen.
Brown signs from Llandeilo, A48 etc.
Opening contact details:
The site is open daily (except 25 December).http://www.aberglasney.org/index.php?page=times_and_prices
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: country house
Site first created: Before 1600
Main period of development: Early 17th century
Site Size (Hectares): 6