Pencarrow, Bodmin, England
Record Id: 2588
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Pencarrow has 19th-century woodland gardens within a larger woodland estate. There is also a formal garden of around 12 hectares close to house. The site occupies a total of 70 hectares. The estate features a conifer collection, rhododendrons and camellias, as well as a granite rockery and a sunken Italian garden.
Brief history of site
Pencarrow was owned by a family of the same name until the late-15th century. It was then acquired first by the Walker family, and subsequently, in the late-16th century, by John Molesworth. The gardens were designed and laid out by his descendant, Sir William Molesworth, between 1831 and 1855. The gardens were restored and replanted after World War 2.
Address: Pencarrow, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL30 3AG
Historical County: Cornwall
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||200||Grid Ref:||SX040710|
The garden lies north of the A389 between Wadebridge and Bodmin. It is 4 miles north-west of Bodmin, and signed from the A389 and B3266 at Washaway.
Opening contact details:
The gardens are open from March until October, the house from April to October. Please see:http://www.pencarrow.co.uk/visiting/opening-time-and-prices
Dogs welcome, under control.
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1831 to 1855
Main period of development: Mid 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 70