Patshull Hall, Wolverhampton, England
Record Id: 2577
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Patshull Hall has late-17th-century formal gardens and pleasure grounds with 18th- and 19th-century additions. The grounds form the setting of a country house, surrounded by a park of 550 hectares.
Brief history of site
The moated manor house was owned by the Astley family from 1451 until 1765. Large sums were spent on landscaping the grounds in the late-17th century. Patshull Hall was rebuilt around 1750 by James Gibbs on a new site on higher ground. New ancilliary buildings were also added. From 1765, under new ownership, extensive works were undertaken in the grounds, probably with assistance from Lancelot Brown. Alterations and additions were carried out in the later-1850s.
Address: Burnhill Green, South Staffordshire, WV6 7HR
Staffordshire; South Staffordshire; Pattingham and
Historical County: Staffordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||138||Grid Ref:||SJ802009|
Follow the M54 from junction 3 of the M6. Please see:
Opening contact details:
The site is now a hotel, golf and country club.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: commercial
Site first created: 1667 to 1699
Main period of development: Late 17th century
Site Size (Hectares): 550